Monday, February 14, 2011

We're on the home stretch Baby!

Dear Baby,
I’m 28 weeks pregnant with you, which means you’re about 26 weeks (ish) old.  Even though we haven’t officially met yet, I feel like I’m starting to get to know you.
For instance, I know you have at least two hobbies: Rolling over and karate kicks! One day not long ago, I counted three separate instances of you hiccuping. I hope it didn’t bother you too much. When I have hiccups, I just want to get rid of ‘em. Supposedly, you having hiccups is a sign of your maturing nervous system and it’s a good thing. And though your ninja kicks sometimes take me by surprise, I know your doing good in there. And since your Asian I guess I can forgive you for that, I mean its only natural for you!
You seem coziest in my lower abdomen, usually way below my stretched-out bellybutton. Yet, you have plenty of room to stretch out if you want. Sometimes, I feel you moving at my sides. Other times, you’re trying to tickle my ribs. I guess if you were mostly higher up, it might be more uncomfortable for me to take deep breaths. Instead, I get to go to the bathroom all the time, since you’re squishin’ my bladder.
I’ve decided I’m your “apartment” since I take care of the exterior (me) and your own living quarters are pretty much up to you, unless you need special assistance. By the way, you’ll be getting your eviction notice pretty soon. In nine weeks, you’ll technically be full-term. In 12 weeks, I’ll be 40 weeks pregnant, or at my official due date. If you choose to be a little slow to vacate the premises, your landlady will probably try to encourage you to leave. Please move out when you’re fully ready, but I’d really appreciate it if you came on your own. I’d rather not be induced, if ya don’t mind.
You do owe rent, but it won’t be due for a few decades. You’ll pay that by having a child of your own. Yes, my dear, that’s what we call the circle of life *cue Lion King theme music*.
Your daddy and I have already finished getting your room put together. I ordered your crib and dresser and your Daddy put all the pieces together. I hope it’s cozy for you. After a frustrating time trying to sort through the bazillion different varieties, we settled on a 4 in 1 convertible crib that was highly ranked by Consumer Reports! Let’s hope it doesn’t get recalled. Seems like that happens a lot.
We got you a mattress that’s also supposedly one of the top baby mattress choices out there. It’s ultra-firm and it weighs like seven or eight pounds. That ought to be nice when it’s 2 a.m. and your diaper explodes and I need to put new sheets on the bed! I have double mattress lined and sheeted it in case that happens! But for the first few weeks you'll be sleeping in a beautiful bassinet in our room :) or quite possibly in Mommy and Daddy's bed if you so choose!
Also, we picked up your car seat travel system. It seems cozy enough. In theory, it’ll last you a little while.
I’ve got a closet full of clothes for you already, but it still doesn't seem to be enough! I’m keeping track of it by sizes so I know when I have enough of certain items, but I don't know how big your little booty is gonna be so its tough deciding how much of what size. No offense, but I’m expecting you to be a messy baby, with lots of spit-ups, barfs, diaper explosions, and general baby goo. Go ahead and surprise me and be a neat, un-gooey baby, but I’m not holding my breath (except for when I’m changing those stinky diapers!).
Because of that, I anticipate needing to change your clothes a few times per day. I want to have enough clothing to be able to do your laundry no more than twice per week, is that wishful thinking?!
This week, your daddy and I will attend our first Bradley method childbirth class. We hope to meet some nice people and learn how to help you be born.
Last week I took my gestational diabetes test, and I haven't seen our midwife yet but I'm guessing I'm OK because I assume she'd call me if I did have it as I'd have to change my eating habits. I'm not into diets, so thank God for that!
Yay to us both for making it into the third trimester! This last bit is going to be something else. You’re going to grow a ton of that cute baby fat, and I’m going to plump up a lot! Whatchoutnow!
See you soon!
Love,
Your Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment